Saturday, January 5, 2013

Weather Change, 20x16, Oil on Linen Panel
This was painted on location last summer. We'd had several days in a row with unusually wild cloud formations. When I started the painting, all I knew for certain was that the sky was going to be the focus. While I blocked in the foreground and and middle ground I kept looking up at the sky and waited for it to develop into something fantastic just as it had on the previous afternoons. Sure enough it didn't disappoint. It was about 4 o'clock when I yelled over to my wife, "It's time!" She new what I meant. The sky was about as beautiful as one could expect and the time to paint it was NOW!

I thought it was done with this painting 6 months ago and even showed it in the Grand Hill Gallery show in August.  Today, I pulled this painting out and reworked quite a bit of the foreground. Sometimes it really helps to put a painting away for a while. I was pretty happy with it 6 months ago, yet the work I did on it today seemed to improve the painting quite a bit. 

I've been doing quite a bit of studio work in preparation for my show at the Phipps Center for the Arts in Hudson Wisconsin January 11 through February 10. I call my show "Treasured Places". It runs January 11 through February 10.  I have over 35 pieces that will be filling the Commons Gallery. The Commons Gallery is on the second floor of the Phipps.  There is a reception Friday, January 11, 6:30 to 8:30pm.

As an adjunct to the show, several of my pieces will also be showing at the Hudson Public Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment