Tuesday, March 15, 2011


Poppies and Coffee, Oil on Linen, 16x12 (SOLD)
Up until now, I've never considered myself a still life painter. I'd rather be outside. But painting this one was a fun way to spend a cold, grey weekend. I can definitely see myself doing more of these in the future. It was a collaborative effort with my wife, Jerri Jo. She laid out the objects, making her what I guess you would call the "painting stylist". Originally there was an old TV tray with a rosemaling pattern on it but the colors didn't really do it for me so I switched that out with Jerri Jo's painting of the poppies. Yes, there's a painting in my painting. It was a real challenge to copy her style but I had fun trying. Below is a photo of her painting. Keep in mind that I photographed her painting in balanced light but I painted my painting of her painting in incandescent light, thus the color shift.

Poppies, Jerri Jo Brandt, Oil on Linen, 12x16 (SOLD)